About

History of Blackie

Blackie is a Hamlet within the Municipal District of Foothills No. 31, approximately 60 km South East of Calgary, AB.

The hamlet was founded in 1909 by one of the first dwellers, Thomas A. Hatcher. He came from Brant together with others; one being his brother Joseph T. Hatcher because of the building of the CPR roadbed. The CPR started laying the steel on the railroad in 1911 and the hamlet began to grow. In February 1911, Frederick G. Bertrand, Esq., was the gentleman that started the proceedings for the hamlet to be called “Blackie” and to become incorporated as a village. In 1911, the hamlet was only known to the government by the legal description due to the railway which was the South ½ of Sec 13-19-24 W4M & also East ½ of the SE ¼ of Sec 14-19-24 W4M (approximately 400 acres). Status of a village could not be granted until 25 dwellings resided in this area. Mr. Bertrand together with the assistance of John Carson gathered the names of these dwellers, forwarded them to the government and requested that this dwelling be called “Blackie”. They were granted that their dwelling be established a Village and given the name “Blackie” on December 27, 1912. Election of the first council of Blackie was held on Monday, January 13, 1913 and on such date the village was incorporated.

HOW WAS THE NAME “BLACKIE” DERIVED?

One of the first dwellers, Thomas Hatcher, (English and Scottish descent) contributed to selecting the name of the hamlet. Blackie was named after John Stuart Blackie (1809 – 1895) who was a Scottish professor and man of letters. He was educated at Marischal College, Edinburgh University and Berlin; studied for Scottish bar; advocate in 1834. In 1839 he was appointed first regius professor of Humanity at the Marischal College, Aberdeen, where he stayed until 1850. From 1852 to 1882 he was a professor of Greek at Edinburgh University, Scotland where he founded and endowed Celtic Chair in 1882. Beyond these great accomplishments, John Stuart Blackie published many publications from 1834 – 1857.